Proverbs 24:3-4

By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;

through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.

Proverbs 24:3-4

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Being Content

When our children want something, it makes us feel good to give it to them. But, I have noticed as soon as they get what it is they want, they are on to wanting the next thing... its never enough. Today, it hit me like a ton of bricks that we are all like that... that I am like that. Wanting more is inherent in us.

Giving thanks is something that I remember everyday in my prayers.  I do give thanks, but I also always ask for more... more guidance, more opportunities, more financial security, etc.  Philippians 4:6 tells us "... with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God," so there isn't anything wrong with those prayers, but today I felt compelled to bow at the alter and just give thanks.  No buts, no requests, just thanks.

In the same chapter that Paul writes to let your requests be made known to God, he also writes about being content... "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation..." Phil 4:12.  Being content is a choice.  We can either choose to complain or we can choose to be joyful and trust in our Father, our Creator, our Provider... whatever our circumstances.  God knows what is best for us and everything we enjoy or endure is for a purpose.

Thank you, Father, for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and for the sacrifice He made.  Thank you for this season of my life I am in right now. Thank you for a faithful, loving husband.  Thank you for 3 beautiful, healthy children.  Thank you for the rest of our family who provide so much support and encouragement. Thank you for our precious church family who remembers us in prayers. Thank you for the roof over our heads, for clothes in our closets, for the food in our pantry, for the heat pouring out of our vents, and for the water that flows out of our faucets. We know that these are amazing blessings given by You and we are so grateful! In Jesus' precious name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment